Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quotes: Reading (4).

Reading 289 "There is hardly any grief that an hour’s reading will not dissipate." Montesquieu. 1722-55. Gross, ed. Oxford Book of Aphorisms. It's a hard lesson to learn, but it's true. Reading books is the best therapy.


Reading 289 "To buy books would be a good thing if we could also buy the time to read them; as it is, the mere act of purchasing them is often mistaken for the assimilation and mastering of their contents." Schopenhauer. 1851. Gross, ed. Oxford Book of Aphorisms. I have several bookshelves full of books that I bought and have not read.


Reading 308 "I suspect that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready….". E. M. Forster. 1951. Gross, ed. Oxford Book of Aphorisms. This is a potent point for teachers of English.


Reading 34 "I have given up reading books; I find it takes my mind off myself. Oscar Levant." Portable Curmudgeon. You have to have seen Levant in his films to realize how this statement fits his personality.


Reading 209 "We read that others may not read (said of reviewers/critics and censors)." Lactantius. Latin. Dictionary of Foreign Terms. The critics', reviewers', and censors' credo.

No comments: