Monday, December 15, 2008

Quotes: Love (8)

Love p. 420 An expression of love. Kennicott to Carol: "Every mail I look for a letter, and when I get one I’m kind of scared to open it, I’m hoping so much that you’re coming back…you know, I didn’t open the cottage down at the lake at all, this past summer…couldn’t stand all the others laughing and swimming, and you not there…used to sit on the porch in town, and I—I couldn’t get over the feeling that you’d simply run up to the drug store and would be right back, and till after it got dark I’d catch myself watching, looking up the street, and you never came, and the house was so empty and still that I didn’t like to go in…sometimes I fell asleep there, in my chair, and didn’t wake up till after midnight…." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Love p. 429 First love. "He glows with the intoxicating esteem of first love." Mailer, The Naked and the Dead.

Love p. 231 Expression of a man's view of love. Henry Crawford on his intentions concerning Fanny: "I only want her to look kindly on me, to give me smiles as well as blushes, to keep a chair for me by herself wherever we are, and be all animation when I take it and talk to her; to think as I think, be interested in all my possessions and pleasures, try to keep me longer at Mansfield, and feel when I go away that she shall be never happy again." Austen: Mansfield Park

Love p. 458 The object of love is in the lover's imagination. Edmund: "…it had been the creature of my own imagination, not Miss Crawford, that I had been too apt to dwell on for many months past." Austen, Mansfield Park.

Love and hatred p. 438 Hatred is natural. Romantic love is not natural. "Hatred is natural in a sense that love, as she conceived it, a young person brought up in the tradition of romantic Love, is not natural at all." Katherine Anne Porter. “The Necessary Enemy.” 1948. Gross, ed. Essays.

No comments: