Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Quotes: Prairie (1)

Prairie i Introduction: "We were talking about what it is like to spend one’s childhood in little towns like these, buried in wheat and corn, under stimulating extremes of climate: burning summers when the world lies green and billowy beneath a brilliant sky, when one is fairly stifled in vegetation, in the color and smell of strong weeds and heavy harvests; blustery winters with little snow, when the whole country is stripped bare and gray as sheet iron." Cather, My Ántonia


Prairie 7 "I had never before looked up at the sky when there was not a familiar mountain ridge against it." Cather, My Ántonia


Prairie 8 "Between the earth and that sky I felt erased, blotted out." Cather, My Ántonia


Prairie 16 "The light air about me told me that the world ended here: only the ground and the sun and sky were left, and if one went a little further there would only be sun and sky, and I would float off into them, like the tawny hawks which sailed over our heads making slow shadows on the grass." Cather, My Ántonia


Prairie 29 "Trees were so rare in that country, and they had to make such a hard fight to grow, that we used to feel anxious about them, and visit them as if they were persons...must have been the scarcity of detail in that tawny landscape that made detail so precious." Cather, My Ántonia

No comments: