Monday, April 7, 2008

Quotes: Character (11)

The idea in bold-face print is a summary of the quote. The number is the page on which the quote was found.

Character (11)
Character 331 She was concerned about meddling with other people's destinies. "She considered with wholesome fear the perils of meddling with other people’s destinies." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Character 404 Carol: "I don’t belong to Gopher Prairieisn’t meant as a condemnation of Gopher Prairie, and it may be a condemnation of me…I don’t care! I don’t belong here, and I’m going…not asking permission any more; I’m simply going." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Character 405 Carol: "And even if I am cowardly and run away—all right, call it cowardly, call me anything you want to…been ruled too long by fear of being called things…going away to be quiet and think…I have a right to my own life." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Character 406 She discovered that she could really get away. "…her discovery that she really could get away from Main Street was as sweet as the discovery of love. Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Character 11 "There is character in spectacles." Lewis, Babbitt.

Character 112 "She was full of the joy of righteousness and bad temper." Lewis, Babbitt.

Character 157 I'm no good at small talk. Paul sighed, “I’m no good at this handshaking and ‘Well, look who’s here’ bunk.” Lewis, Babbitt.

Character 185 I need to receive credit for what I do for others. " …would have sacrificed everything for him—if he could have been sure of proper credit." Lewis, Babbitt.

Character 298 "...I don’t propose to be bullied and rushed into joining anything, and it isn’t a question of whether it’s a good league or a bad league or what the hell kind of a league it is; it’s just a question of my refusing to be told I got to--...." Lewis, Babbitt.

Character 70 Pasteur had a way of making sure that people gave him credit for what he did. "He [Pasteur] had a way of putting 'am-I-not-clever-to-have-found-this-and-aren’t-all-of-you-fools-not-to-believe-it-at-once' between the lines of all of his writings and speeches. DeKruif, Microbe Hunters.

No comments: