Monday, November 10, 2008

Quotes: Life (12)

Life 357 Expecting an unpleasant event does not, in fact, cause it. "Elinor now found the difference between the expectation of an unpleasant event, however certain the mind may be told to consider it, and certainty itself." Jane Austen.

Life 371 Experience leads us back to home. "I had the sense of coming home to myself, and of having found out what a little circle man’s experience is." Cather, My Ántonia

Life 320 One view of life: misery and tragic. "What misery, what an unspeakable tragedy, life is for some!" Rölvaag, Giants in the Earth.

Life 8 The world is cruel and dull and proud of it. "She did not yet know the immense ability of the world to be casually cruel and proudly dull...." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Life 156 We create most of our own troubles. "Most troubles are unnecessary." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Life 197 We need to be more conscious of life. "I think we want a more conscious life…tired of drudging and sleeping and dying." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.


Life 224 The feeling of never being able to escape the drudgery of life and people. "In the prairie heat she trudged along unchanging ways, talked about nothing to tepid people, and reflected that she might never escape from them." Sinclair Lewis, Main Street.

Life 22 Tired of life as it is. "Oh, Lord, sometimes I'd like to quit the whole game…the office worry…and I act cranky and--I don't mean to, but I get--so darn tired." Lewis, Babbitt.

Life 31 One man's dream. "I'd like to beat it off to the woods right now…loaf all day…go to Gunch's again tonight, and play poker, and cuss as much as I feel like, and drink a hundred and nine-thousand bottles of beer." Lewis, Babbitt.

Life 55 Does a man have any rights? How can I escape boredom? "Good Lord, I don't know what 'rights' a man has…and I don't know the solution to boredom." Lewis, Babbitt.

No comments: