Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quotes: Mood (4)

Mood 249 "Marianne…prepared quietly and mechanically for every evening’s engagement, though without expecting the smallest amusement from any, and very often without knowing till the last moment, where it was to take her." Austen, Sense and Sensibility. Resignation.


Mood 307 "But a day spent in sitting shivering over the fire with a book in her hand, which she was unable to read, or lying, weary and languid, on a sofa…." Austen, Sense and Sensibility. In the dumps.


Mood 8 "If we never arrived anywhere it did not matter…did not say my prayers that night: here, I felt, what would be would be." Cather, My Ántonia. Resignation.


Mood 216 "I was moody and restless that winter and tired of the people I saw every day." Cather, My Ántonia. Claustrophobia?


Mood 28 "…suddenly it struck her that here something was about to go wrong…for several days she had sensed this same feeling; she could not seem to tear herself loose from the grip of it…." Rölvaag, Giants in the Earth. Foreboding.

No comments: